Saturday, September 20, 2008

Child Custody

With cases rolling in and a great instructor, I felt I had finally found my calling. My first big case was custody of a child for a father. I got to work first of all to determine if the father was telling me the truth about his case and if he was the right parent to raise this child, if I wanted to get involved and if I felt there was a chance for him. His child, a beautiful 8 year old girl, how could I say no. In the end, I took the case and went to work.
As this case came together, it didn't take long to figure out the mother in this case had no business with a child to care for or be responsible for. She was too busy partying and doing drugs, exposing her child to this lifestyle. Most of her partying was done at her home where the child was playing, sleeping and seeing things an eight year old should not see.
For the child, there was no proper meals, no bedtime, strangers sleeping over and a mother who was too wrapped up in her own life to notice.
Night surveillance revealed Mom's "new boyfriend" is a local cop and a member of the local drug task force. How convenient!
However when things got tough, I remembered that beautiful little girl inside the home and the commitment I made to save her and see to it that she was placed in a home where someone loved and cared for her and saw to her needs.
With parties going on around the clock on the weekends made it very convenient for a successful trash pull from the front lawn. Jackpot! There was all the evidence a good investigator wants to have. Photos and evidence secured, it had been a good weekend.
With many more successful surveillance days of the mother there was enough evidence for an emergency hearing.
Judge heard the case, witnessed all the evidence and photos of the mother's behavior. At the end of the day, the father went home with his little girl! Mother with supervised visitation.
As an investigator you can't ask for a better ending for a case. Such a sense of accomplishment and ready to tackle a new case.
Until next time.....

McConnell Investigations

No comments: